Sunday, July 18, 2010

Compassion




Compassion is incredibly powerful. It is the difference between happiness and sadness, wellness and illness, openness and judgement. To really feel compassion for someone or something I must be able to remove my own 'ego' - not always easy. However, when I'm able to get out of my own way and really feel or understand in my heart what the other person is feeling, it is so much easier to act in a compassionate way. When my ego keeps me seperate from someone, usually by my own judgement towards them - then I'm closed to any feeling or acts of compassion. So, I love this idea of 'practice compassion'. Practice it daily!!




What does it look like on a daily basis? Listening, really listening to others. Being kind and considerate. Taking the time to really be present with others. Giving what I can rather than taking what I want. Remembering we are ONE and not seperate from each other, which means how I am with others affects how I am with myself.




Albert Einstein said, "A human being is a part of a whole, called by us 'universe', a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separated from the rest. . . a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ouselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."

No comments:

Post a Comment